Professor Emeritus (Retired)
University of Massachusetts-Lowell
Lowell, Massachusetts

BS ChE 1943, Missouri School of Mines
Professional Degree 1974, University of Missouri-Rolla

Harold began his career with the Freeport Sulphur Company in January 1943. He worked in the nickel pilot plant in Freeport, Texas, in preparation for the startup of the Nicaro Nickel plant in Nicaro, Cuba. He continued with them until he was drafted into the Army Air Corps in 1946. He met and ultimately married Jeanne Bradfield from Baltimore, Maryland. After being discharged from the Army Air Corps in 1947, Harold and Jeanne returned to Freeport and Port Sulphur, Lousiania for a short time before moving to Baltimore, Maryland to work for the Mutual Chemical Company. (Later acquired by Allied Chemical Company.) In 1952, Bill took a job as plant engineer, assistant plant superintendent, at the Acton plant of Dewey and Almy Chemical Company in Acton, Massachusetts (Acquired by W. R. Grace). In 1956, he joined the engineering division of Arthur D. Little, Inc. in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He worked across a broad spectrum of problems, primarily in the process metallurgy area. He left ADL in 1970 to head an economic evaluation group at Ledgement Laboratories in Lexington, Massachusetts, a part of the Kennecott Copper Company. In 1980, Bill became the manager of business development for Resource Engineering, Inc. in Waltham. He joined the Chemical and Nuclear Engineering Department of the University of Massachusetts-Lowell in 1983. He taught senior capstone courses and functioned as the Executive Officer. He served twice as acting Department Head. He retired in June 1995. Upon retirement he was appointed by the governor to the Massachusetts Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors. He was elected to chair this Board in 1998 and served until mid 2004. Bill has headed a committee that is charged with a complete revision of the Board's Rules and Regulations. He has served as a National director of A.I.Ch.E. as well as chaired the National Program Committee and the National Publications Committee. Bill and his wife Jeanne, have been functioning as guides for tours of the Hosmer House, owned by the Historical Society. They both continue to be regular members of the Chancel Choir. Bill has recently been appointed to a Town of Acton committee to develop rules and regulations to control the location, construction and operation of cell telephone towers. Bill and Jeanne currently reside in Acton, Massachusetts. Bill was inducted into the Academy in 2003.