- Department Overview
- Academy of Chemical Engineers
- Chemical Engineering Programs
- Student Opportunities
- Faculty, Staff & Resources
WILLIAM "BILL" J. JAMES
Bill joined the Chemistry/Chemical Engineering Department at the Missouri School of Mines in 1953 as assistant professor of Chemistry. He taught general chemistry until 1960. During the late fifties, he also taught undergraduate and graduate physical chemistry, chemical engineering thermodynamics and advanced mathematics for chemical engineers. He played a key role in the preparation and establishment of a Ph.D. program offered to chemical engineering in 1960 and was privileged to serve as the major advisor to the first recipient of the Ph.D. in chemical engineering; Dr. James W. Johnson (now deceased). In 1961-62, he was awarded a Fulbright research professorship to study at the University of Grenoble, France under the direction of Professors E.F. Bertaut and L. Neel, Nobel Laureate in Physics. He helped establish the Graduate Center for Materials Research (GCMR) in 1964 and served as director until 1975. He has served in leadership positions for several organizations including the National Research Council of the Union of South Africa, the Missouri Academy of Science, Materials Science Commission at Argonne National Laboratories, Midwest International Rare Earth Research Conferences, and the Center for Environmental Science and Technology. He has received numerous awards including the Thomas Jefferson Award, the Missouri Academy of Science Most Distinguished Scientist Award, and the Chancellor's Medal. He is a member of the American Chemical Society, Sigma Xi, Sigma Pi Sigma, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Lambda Upsilon, Alpha Sigma Mu and Alpha Chi Sigma. He is author and/or co-author of over 300 publications. Presently he is Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and Senior Investigator, GCMR. In the spring 2006, he completed 53 years of service in teaching and research at the University of Missouri-Rolla. Bill and his wife Arlene reside in Rolla. They have been members of the OGS since 1989. Bill was inducted into the Academy in 2003.