FRANK H. CONRAD
BS ChE 1923, University of Washington
Professor Conrad earned his BS degree in Chemical Engineering in 1923. He was employed by Northwest Testing Laboratories, rising from a position of Chemist to that of Manager. He then decided to return to the University of Washington for graduate studies and earned a Ph.D. in 1934. He spent two years with Standard Oil of California before coming to the Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy (now the University of Missouri-Rolla) in 1936 as Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering except for a period of military duty from 1942 to 1946; he had continuous service until retirement. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 1937 and Professor in 1947. He had a great influence on many students with whom he came in contact, both as a faculty member and as adviser to the UMR student chapter of AIChE and Theta Xi Fraternity. His broad industrial contacts no doubt assisted many students in obtaining employment.
In the community, Professor Conrad was also very active: he was a member of the Rolla First Christian Church and had served as Elder and Deacon, he was a member of the Rolla Lions Club and had served as President, he was a member of the U.S. Army Reserves and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel, he was a member of the Rolla United Fund Board and served as Fund Drive Chairman and Board Chairman, and he was honored for his work with the Boy Scouts with a Silver Beaver Award. Professor Conrad died on January 5, 1983.
Follow Chemical and Biochemical Engineering